Long Winter

Bailey and I on a cold winter's walk.  This is what I do for my
own "time-out"...one was severely needed on my part this week.
Do you ever get the feeling that we as moms are sometimes the cause of the "bad house attitude"?  I have had one of those weeks.  I feel like I am just barely keeping my head above water.  We all go through these times.  We have had a severe cold snap here in Michigan the last few weeks.  For the first time in the 3 or 4 years that I have had my Expedition, I saw -14 on the in car thermometer leaving for church last weekend.  Now that is cold.  The negative temperatures along with the never-ending plague have caused some major attitudes in our home.  I am thankful that God gives me a fresh slate everyday and the ability to ask for forgiveness not only from Him, but also from my kiddos. 

I find myself at this time of year wondering how well they are doing in school and second guess my abilities to teach them what they need.  The question becomes, "What do they need?"  Do I need to judge what we do by the list of "government classes" they need to have?  Or is it enough to give them biblical truths, teach them awesome character (which is a skill I am lacking at this time:)) let them be able to work on their gifts and know that everything else will fall into place.  We have been witness to a lot of kids who have succeeded in the public school realm, have a 4 year college degree that cost them (or mom and dad) twice as much as our first house mortgage, and yet there are so many who are just lost and living a dreary life that I don't want for my kids.  The comment we have heard lately is we are sheltering our kids.  If making sure they are staying out of trouble, knowing where they are at all times, knowing who they are with, teaching them right from wrong, training them up and the hundreds of other things I do in a day, then I am guilty as charged.  I am okay with that.  It is called being a parent, think what would happen in our world if more people became one.

Off my soapbox.  Tomorrow is the big day!  Yes, we are finally going to pick up our three goats!  I am very excited, but my nervousness about "one more thing" is drowning that out.  I think hubby is just as excited as I am.  I am sure by next week we will have some goat "tails" to tell. 

I set a goal for myself with my etsy site to create and post one new item a week. I was surprised and excited when I was able to get two new things in the shop yesterday. 

I am working on some "articles" to post here about our choices to raise angora rabbits and how that works. I have had some requests in the past to do that and haven't yet!  I am also thinking about teaching some classes here at the farm, but am struggling with the who, what and whys.  There is a lot of weird knowledge stuffed in my brain like soap making, cheese making, bread making, how to spin, how to knit, how to crochet, how to can and I am sure I can come up with a couple more.  The question becomes how to share that information.  I always have struggled with charging people, (that is probably why I don't have a lot of sales on etsy:)) but I realize that many people would like to learn this skills and there aren't any classes close by that they can learn these skills from.  So we shall see.

Comments

  1. Here's hoping the warmer weather comes soon for you. I remember the cold days when living up north. Sounds to me like you are doing the right thing for your children. Too many do not have enough of their parents' discipline and protection guiding them. If you have the potential pupils who want to learn your skills, there is nothing wrong with charging them for that effort on your part. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My time out is to hide in the barn staring at goats:)) I am right there with you, Renee, standing on that soap box (even when it seems nobody else is) and get as frustrated as you do. Just remember~ your enemy the devil is prowling around looking for someone to devour~ we are in "battle zone", especially when it comes to women raising children for the Lord. I have to keep remembering that the most important thing for our children (and for me) is to be right with God. This world will pass, eternity will not. And at the same time somehow teach them all to read:)) You are doing a great job! And it's okay to struggle~ it makes us really look for the why's of how we're living. Sunshine will come back!

    Just some thoughts about the classes~ first of all I am so much like you as far as not being good at charging for my skills. Luckily I have my husband and a friend encouraging me that it is okay to charge (people pay for college, after all). One idea for you is to check out your local community ed. Ours is run through the school district. That's how we taught our first soap class last fall and had a good turnout, plus extra's that came to our farm to learn as a result of the advertising. Our school charges 20%, but provides advertising, handles all the money, all the scheduling and calls. We may look at doing 2 or 3 school districts this fall if all works out. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Day of Homeschooling~Nearing the Finish Line

Friday on the Farm

What I Am Working On~Wednesday