Homemade Rabbit Cage

Trying to squeeze in as much as we can on our small farm and do it on the cheap side can sometime be challenging.  Raising angora rabbits for fiber has been the biggest challenge we have faced.  I want to have enough to get fiber to spin and that means having at least 20 or more here most of the time.  My father-in-law created really cool rabbit "tractors" for me and we have 6 of those.  I like those because the rabbits are able to free range on the grass and get fresh air.  But, having 20 of those scattered through our yard (which by the way is about an acre) wouldn't work.
Cages can be expensive so I have tried several different designs in trying to make them ourselves.  This way by far has been the best.  It does take some time, but the cost difference is worth it for me.  I have found a couple different things I want to try also using pallets to make outside cages and pvc pipes for making frames for our indoor cages, but it is too cold to spend too much time creating outside right now so that is a blog post for spring!
Here is a tutorial for making the one I finished this week.


What you need:

Roll of cage wire for bottom this one is 30" which is the size of the cage I made

Cable ties (what a great invention!) a tape measure, wire cutters and grid shelves set, I buy mine in a box at most big box stores.

Measure the bottom wire, adding a couple of inches for making it big enough to slid the bottom under (you will need a purchased bottom also)

Using the cable ties start by attaching the side to the bottom I  "raised" mine to slid the bottom under.

close up of the bottom

Don't forget a door, which I have before;)  keep one side open, I latch  with a metal clip

finished cage after trimming all the ends

Notice I left a few inches above also, which makes it possible to put another cage on top with space for a drop pan

To add another cage, I just need to start over with the bottom wire and create a second cage and attach with the cable ties.
Use the heavier cable ties, and use a lot of them, better for it to be too strong than not enough!





Comments

  1. It worked ~ I am able to comment!
    Have a wonderful evening. I am going to peek around your blog a little!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie,
    I had wondered if I was just talking to the wind:) My dad mentioned it this past weekend and then you mentioned it, I began to wonder!
    Blessings to you and yours! Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Day of Homeschooling~Nearing the Finish Line

Friday on the Farm

Friday on the Farm ~ My Crazy Life