Creativity

There is a lot of creating that goes on in our house on a daily basis. I find with homeschooling our kiddos we all are able to dive into our artistic abilities every day, whether it is drawing, music, writing, spinning or knitting everyone has their hands on something. Even being as busy as I am, I still have to be doing something with my hands most days to be happy. That is how God created me. I am really excited because some of these talents may become income opportunities for our kids. Eldest is already teaching piano lessons with his gifts. One of the "words of wisdom" I hope to leave my kids is this, find something you love to do and find a way to make money from it.

Some of the creating I am doing this week is re-doing our island stools. When we remodeled our kitchen a year and a half ago I held off on purchasing any stools. First, I wanted just the right ones and second, I didn't want to have to spend a fortune on them. Most I looked at did not fit with the new space and on average they cost anywhere between $100-$200 dollars... EACH! Our island was built for 5 spots and there was no way I wanted to spend that kind of money. My patience paid off and I was able to find the perfect stools on reduced for $20 each. I was one happy woman. What I didn't take into account was how much they would be used. Sometimes for three meals a day. Our island became exactly what we wanted it to become a "hangout". Some of the stools have started to show this and I decided it was time to recover them.

 I purchased several yards of burlap a couple of weeks ago. Don't ask me what it is about burlap right now, but I just adore the look of it. I started with one stool this morning and ripped off all of the covering (some type of woven bamboo fiber?) and then with my trusty staple gun I recovered the seat. I am only doing one right now, because as much as I love the look of burlap, I am not sure how well it will take the daily wear and tear we put on them (I hope!). Time will tell.


Tools I used
What some of the stools started to look like

The island as the kitchen was getting done
Taking off the old

Before the new
Getting ready to recover

Done!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day of Homeschooling~Nearing the Finish Line

Friday on the Farm

Friday on the Farm ~ My Crazy Life