Insane

Is insanity for farmers a normal thing?  I received a message from my dear friend Maple at Northstar Alpacas a couple of weeks ago.  She was getting some alpacas brought to her farm.  She wanted to know if I wanted two of them.  For free.  Did she say Free? Yes!  First, anyone who knows me, knows I am always on the lookout for cheap (free is better). After processing the fact that I could get two more gorgeous fiber animals, for FREE, I had to stop and take a breath...and bat my eyes at Hubby.

I had questions for Maple that I needed to know before I jumped at this.  I wanted to be responsible.  First we have a very, very, small farm.  Would it work?  I found out in researching and asking Maple that they don't need a lot of space.  Second, how much do they eat?  What kind of care?  Remember, we struggled to get hay this year because of the drought.  I found out that they will probably be the cheapest animal we have on the farm to keep.  More eyelash batting to Hubby.  We found the extra hay we needed, (I guess the fourth cutting was good here in Michigan), and we told Maple YES!!

They came home, in our Suburban (Yes, I said our Suburban...inside it...not a trailer...two of them!) on Sunday.  They are a bit more skittish than I expected.  They are afraid of the goats.  But today all seems well and we are getting closer to them.  Although we have been hit with the "side" effects of hurricane Sandy, so the weather here is horrible and cold and windy.  We haven't been out as much today to get to know them.

I think I am going to start a 12 step program for farmers and their addictions...nah, life would be too boring!!!

So without further ado, we welcome Santana and Malachi to Tail Spin Farm!!




Comments

  1. Crazy, maybe, but fun and interesting, too ;) Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooohhh! I'm laughing out loud at those pictures! Everytime we travel on a certain highway on our big grocery shopping trip I get nostalgic remembering the time we borrowed a little Ford ranger with a topper to pick up our new goats, except I didn't realize that goats would eat the umpteen bags of groceries, so we had four kids and a months worth of groceries crammed in the cab and crying goats in the bed of the truck.

    Yes, a 12 step program may be beneficial, but I think most of us farmgirls are incurable:)) My sister and I are officially banned from attending auctions together for this very reason:))

    Did the batting eyes do the trick?? I'm working towards a front entry/porch with a pantry, and maybe an antique sink if I can get one:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Malachi and Santana are fortunate to be new additions to your lovely family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And people laughed at me for hauling a calf in my suburban, and my dad for having pigs in his mini-van......Apprently this IS normal behavior for some of us!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Day of Homeschooling~Nearing the Finish Line

Friday on the Farm

Friday on the Farm ~ My Crazy Life